Filed under Feature, Showcase

BSU grows at Pioneer

Back to Article
Back to Article

BSU grows at Pioneer

Aaliyah Dumas

Aaliyah Dumas

Aaliyah Dumas

African American and other students of color have solidified a network and a place to belong in the growing Black Student Union (BSU). Today, there are over 120 members and growing. Lynne Copeland and Will Copeland, brother and sister staff members at Pioneer are the advisors for the student group. Ms. Copeland is the Scheduling office professional and Will is a Community Liaison for the building. “We give students of color a place of support and unity,” says current BSU member Layla Dobbins, Junior.

In the 2017-18 school year, BSU did a lot of community service and hopes to do more. “From adopting families (during the holidays) to coat drives, to creating mentoring programs in the surrounding community,” says Mr. Copeland.

BSU has two student leaders, Shalae Page, and Drew Lowder, both seniors.

According to Page, BSU is a safe place for African American students to be able to express their feelings and be able to contribute their ideas about many issues.  “BSU allows black students to come to a place where they might feel more comfortable and welcome,” Page said.

BSU member Layla Dobbins, a junior, says that BSU gets a lot of support but “a lot of people question BSU’s purpose because they don’t actually know or understand what BSU does for African American students.”

The group’s advisors, Ms. and Mr. Copeland (siblings) are aware that students and staff have criticized BSU’s strict focus on the concerns of black students. “I think it’s difficult for people to adjust to change in general,” he said, referring to the school’s renewed commitment to a black student group. “There’s also the issue of people not being properly educated in cultural awareness. I believe as BSU continues to grow and thrive, we’ll be able to have more conversations about cultural awareness and micro-aggressions and how not understanding both can cause tension and negative interactions.”

BSU will have over 100 members after the applications are turned in and processed. “We give students of color a place of support and unity,” says current BSU member Layla Dobbins, Junior.

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Stay Healthy this Flu Season

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Ending the ‘truant officer’ stereotype Brieloff approaches truancy with empathy

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Petruv loves the beauty he sees in a basketball court

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Pioneer gets spooky: The Halloween Costumes of Pioneer

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

A Month for Everyone: National Novel Writing Month club encourages students to write

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Hats at Pioneer: an In-Depth Look

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Pioneer Lacrosse Team Looking For a Successful Upcoming Season

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

New Ideas to Reduce Academic Stress

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

People of Pioneer: Lillian Davidson-Walshe

• BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

Why Pioneer?

BSU grows at Pioneer