Asian Humanities Fair brings cultural experiences

• Seoug Min Hong and Micheal Kim write in Korean.

• Alyssa Sun, Jillian Hiordano, and Elizabeth Casey participate in traditional paper folding.

• Madeline Gupta shows off her north Indian dress.

• Yang Lao Shi teaches Chinese calligraphy.

• Deejay Shetty and Aayana Anany do a classical Indian dance.

Monday, March 5, Pioneer held its first ever Asian Humanities Fair featuring displays related to Asian cultures.

“[It’s an] initiative started by (the University of Michigan) to improve and promote the history of Asian culture and language,” said World History teacher Steve Boyce. It was part of a new Asian Humanities Initiative, which was co-hosted by the U-M.  “U-M helped by providing materials and encouraged an emphasis on early language,” said Boyce.

The Asian Humanities Initiative’s goal is to draw attention to different aspects of Asian culture.  The fair  featured demonstrations of language, art, and dance by 9th grade students in World History & Geography and students of Mandarin Chinese,  said Boyce.

World History is an incredibly nuanced and vast topic to study in just one year, Boyce says, especially for the youngest students at Pioneer. “The Asian part of the World History curriculum is really tough,” he said. That’s why directors of outreach at the International Institute at U-M created a program to help students learn that important part of history.

Pioneer students played a critical role in making the fair happen. “The enormous talent at this school never ceases to amaze me,” says Boyce. Deeya Shetty and Ananyaa Asthana were there to represent the Indian American Student Association that they formed just this year.

“It’s really important for Asian students to come together and celebrate their culture,” Boyce said.