Filed under Feature

Petruv loves the beauty he sees in a basketball court

Back to Article
Back to Article

Frank Petruv, 17, is a senior at our very own Pioneer High School. Many things about Frank stray from the norm, like his height, his blonde hair, and the hint of the Czech Republic stowed in his accent. And though he may contrast from the rest of the hormonal teenagers that wander around the halls of Pioneer, like most other tall youngsters in Ann Arbor, he lives and breathes basketball. He plays for Pioneer, as a talented guard and occasional small forward.

Petruv was born in the Czech Republic and moved from there to Ann Arbor when he was only five. Frank opens up about the differences between the United States and his home country, “People back home are very quiet. They don’t say hi even if they’re your friend. You always see me walking around the halls with earphones around my neck, ready to put them on, because it’s not a custom to listen to what people say. When someone comes up to me in a supermarket and asks ‘how you doing?’ I don’t know how to respond to that. People are extremely kind here, even if they fake it. I’ve never shaken as many hands as I have in a day, just walking home from school.”

Petruv credits basketball for allowing him to make new friends, since everyone already knows him as “the basketball player.” However, he admits basketball is only a single aspect of his life; for instance, most people don’t know Frank had a passion for music when he was younger, “I used to play the violin, the guitar, the drums, flute, and clarinet but I didn’t have the natural talent like I did for basketball. If I’m happy with it I can do anything, I guess a ‘Jack of all traits’ is how I would describe myself.”

Frank is no stranger to the rigorous routine that comes with being a student athlete. Even for someone who likes to stay busy, Petrov’s daily procedures can be overwhelming. He wakes up at five and goes to school. After school he goes to study hall, before going to a two hour practice. He bikes home around nine and only has an hour or two of free time before going to bed. Other than time management, the pressure of it all is another thing that Frank finds difficult about being a student-athlete. “Being good at anything, and being watched, there’s a lot of pressure. You have a certain limit to get your college offers. I don’t have any offers; I’m from the Czech Republic. So for me, it’s a grind and I have to get things done as fast as I can.”

Petruv gladly accepts the burdens of being a talented high school athlete because, as he puts it, “It’s all for something.” Frank has been fortunate enough to play in showcases in major cities such as Las Vegas and New York. He’s had amazing experiences while traveling for basketball, met incredible people, and has had the opportunity to showcase his talent in front of large crowds.

Frank enjoys the glory of being a prodigy, but what really drives him isn’t a bunch of pleasant luxuries; it’s an unwavering passion for the sport. “Basketball’s such a classic game. Something about the hardwood floors and the classiness of the glass makes it beautiful.” His words radiate a deep love for the game. Take away all the glitz and glamor, and you’re left with a friendly, lengthy kid who loves shooting hoops.

• Petruv loves the beauty he sees in a basketball court

Feature

Stay Healthy this Flu Season

Feature

Ending the ‘truant officer’ stereotype Brieloff approaches truancy with empathy

Feature

Pioneer gets spooky: The Halloween Costumes of Pioneer

Feature

A Month for Everyone: National Novel Writing Month club encourages students to write

Feature

Hats at Pioneer: an In-Depth Look

Feature

Pioneer Lacrosse Team Looking For a Successful Upcoming Season

Feature

New Ideas to Reduce Academic Stress

Feature

BSU grows at Pioneer

Feature

People of Pioneer: Lillian Davidson-Walshe

Feature

Why Pioneer?