Women’s basketball works for speed

This year Pioneer’s Girls Basketball team is quickening their gameplay. “One of the things we’ll try to do differently this year is speeding the game up and play a lot faster,” said Tyrone Hicks, Head Coach. This increase in momentum is facilitated by new usage of the entire bench. “We’re going to try to utilize the bench a little more and just go deeper in the rotation,” said Hicks.

Pioneer Women’s Basketball’s goal this season is to win districts. Hicks said, “Pioneer Girls basketball has potential to win our league we’re just going to have to come in here and work hard and make that come to fruition.” Senior and returning varsity player Whitney Gallagher said that although they’ve lost in the championship game the last couple years they have a chance at winning. “Last year we lost to Dexter the year before that we lost to Huron, but we think we can win this year,” said Gallagher.

This year’s freshman class is filled with talent and returning players are very excited about the new editions. Senior Ilena Garrett said, “I’m really happy that most of [the freshman] came here because they’re all really good, they’re actually crazy.” Hicks, however, refrained from calling them “The best freshman class,” though he was tempted. The class of 2019 was very skilled, but the 2022’s are giving them a run for their money.  “The seniors this year were very good as freshmen, but I’d say they’re pretty comparable to the freshman that I had 4 years ago,” said Hicks.

The team began practicing for their winter season this summer. Gallagher said, “It’s going to be a lot better than last season. We’ve been working really hard for the offseason all throughout the summer and this fall.” The team can be found in the gym every day after school. “On a daily basis we condition and lift weights,” said Hicks.  

Pioneer Basketball is hoping to win against their biggest rival Huron this season. “I expect to beat Huron we’ve been losing to them for like 30 years,” Garrett said. Huron’s known for having a strong program, but Pioneer’s team has been working hard and is excited about the challenge.“[The Huron game] is what we’re most looking forward to this season,” said Gallagher. The teams will be facing off at Pioneer on January 18th. They’re hoping to have more students attend their games this year. “I’d really like to see the school come out and support us. We’re a very fun team to watch,” said Hicks.