Upcoming SAT Causes High Levels of Stress in Students

As the SAT test date nears, Pioneer juniors are becoming increasingly stressed. In fact, in an online poll, 64% of Pioneer students said that they haven’t started studying yet.  Students should know that there are a variety of methods that they can use to study for standardized tests such as the SAT.

Khan Academy has its costs benefits as a studying strategy. The website offers a broad spectrum of activities and practice tests students that help students hone in on their skills, and brush over what may need work. The only downside is that not all students have internet access at home, and SAT practice is something that can’t just be done in a lunch period.

A real-life option a lot of people like to use to prepare for the SAT using textbooks, specifically ones from the College Board. This is an effective method because College Board textbooks feature a variety of practice tests. Textbooks are also helpful because they provide helpful tips and tricks for students to do well on standardized tests. Since the College Board makes the textbooks themselves, students have an idea of what to expect and can get a lot of practice before taking the actual SAT. A couple of negative aspects of the use of textbooks to prepare is that they cost $20-$30 per book, and aren’t always easy to carry around. Despite its downsides, using a textbook to study for standardized tests is a great way to prepare because, in the correct environment, it simulates actual test will be like so that students aren’t anxious on the date of the actual SAT.

An online poll showed that 65% of Pioneer students preferred to use Khan Academy for studying because it’s efficient and easy to take on the go. Students such as Pioneer Junior, Allison Dabrowski, have explained simply “I just don’t like textbooks.” They claim that it is tedious to carry around a large book, and much easier to accomplish tasks on Khan Academy from their laptop or phone.

At Pioneer, 81% of polled students said that they think the College Board could do a much better job at preparing students for the SAT, and ACT tests. This high percentage is probably due to the fact that the exams are only mentioned at the beginning of the school year in class meetings, and once or twice in the weeks leading up to it. Students are given a small packet the week before the SAT, usually by their English teachers, and there is no enforcement to study. Teachers and administrators should be more on top of students about studying for the SAT. If students aren’t pressured to start studying sooner, the week before the SAT will arrive faster than they think, and they will get caught in an anxious frenzy of trying to balance school and preparing for a test that has a large impact on their life. Most colleges look at SAT scores alongside a students’ GPA, community involvement, and volunteerism. Getting good SAT scores, and taking standardized tests seriously should be taught right from the get-go.