AAPS to Offer Hybrid Instruction for Remainder of School Year

On Wednesday, Jan. 13, Superintendent Jeanice Swift of Ann Arbor Public Schools has announced that the district will now offer a hybrid in-person school learning for its families starting in early March.

The hybrid learning is optional, and those who would like to stay in full-virtual learning may choose to do so. Both learning models will include virtual learning provided AAPS staff members.

The transition will consist of four stages for those who opt for the hybrid model:

Stage 1 will transition pre-kindergarten, and K-5 students, students with high-level specialized learning needs (self-contained classrooms) at all levels, and small groups of middle and high school students most in need of in-school learning support.

Proceeding stages will occur at one-week intervals that will depend on the progress of school personnel vaccination process and ongoing monitoring of district and community COVID infection numbers.

Stage 2 will include 1st and 2nd- grade students.

Stage 3 will include 3rd through 5th grade students.

Stage 4 will include the transition of middle and high school students.

The hybrid learning plan involves assigning students to an A or B group who will rotate turns in attending in-person school two days per week on Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays will remain a virtual, asynchronous day for all students.

As an example, students in group A may attend in-person school on Monday and Tuesday while group B students attend virtual instruction on those days. On Thursday and Friday, group B students would then attend in-person school while group A stays at home for virtual instruction.

The district is working in support of the Washtenaw County Health Department team who will coordinate the community vaccination effort. The vaccination process is anticipated to start in the early future and will prioritize school personnel. Specific dates on when the vaccination process will commend is currently unknown.

Superintendent Swift’s announcement comes after Governor Whitmer urged schools to start reopening by March 1.