Superintendent cancels school on Monday, Nov. 1

Ari Jacob

COVID infection concerns, low staffing, and a much-needed break for staff and students prompted the cancellation decision.

Ann Arbor Public Schools Superintendent Jeanice Kerr Swift announced earlier today that the district would take Monday, Nov. 1, off from school, a shutdown that students and the community did not anticipate. With the following day, Tuesday, Nov. 2, already being a scheduled school closing day to accommodate city elections, district staff and students will have a four-day weekend.

Amidst rising COVID-19 infection concerns, and numerous district staff absences, Swift announced the surprise day off in a district-wide email late in the afternoon. The move has come after the district suffered major staff shortages due to illness, resulting in several schools closing for a day. “[We are doing this] in order to confidently and safely staff our buildings every day we are open for classes,” said Swift in the email. The closure follows one-day returns to online learning for Skyline and Huron high schools and Forsythe Middle School last week and A2 STEAM at Northside earlier this week.

“I’m really glad that they decided to give us Monday off,” said Pioneer science teacher Barbara Schenk. “With the way this school year has gone, I just think that it should’ve come sooner.” 

“Having the day off on Monday will provide students and staff with a much-needed break after a stressful first quarter,” said junior and Pihi Info manager Josie Hodges. “It’s a great chance to relax and enjoy the holiday, and to prepare ourselves for a strong quarter two.”

Acknowledging the inconveniences the last-minute change may cause, Swift apologized in her email, and said, “Sharing notice of this adjustment ahead of the weekend and in time for families to coordinate a plan is far better than an over-the-weekend or last-minute morning notification.”