District announces temporary virtual learning upon return from winter break

In an email sent out today on Dec. 31, Superintendent Jeanice Swift said that all AAPS schools will return to school virtually on Wednesday, Jan. 5 through Friday, Jan. 7.

Swifts says this transition following winter break will “allow time for critical steps,” which includes monitoring the number of district COVID cases heightened by the Omicron surge, along with its impact on staffing.

The district’s plan as of now is to return back to in-person learning on Monday, Jan. 10.

“We are using all the tools we have implemented and refined during this past year to maintain the priority of critical in-school learning for our students across our AAPS classrooms on as many days as possible, even as we face this current winter surge.”

This closure until Wednesday marks the second time of no-school days following a break, the previous one occurring after Thanksgiving break on Nov. 22.

On Monday and Tuesday before the virtual learning, school teams and leaders will prepare for the transition to virtual learning, meaning all schools will be closed until the virtual start on Wednesday. 

The AAPS COVID Response Team will resume contact tracing on Monday, Jan. 4. Staff and families are asked to report any school campus cases from Dec. 18 to Jan. 2. 

Moving forward in 2022, the district is prioritizing vaccination among students and staff to prevent further spreading, severe symptoms and hospitalization. 

“We are asking for your help in this important effort,” said Swift. “Working together has never been more critical to continue in-school learning for our students, staff, families and community.”

In partnership with the MDHHS, AAPS will offer vaccination clinics for students from age 5 to 18 and has requested to add clinics for booster shots from the State of Michigan. Dates and times for these clinics will be communicated as new clinic dates are approved.

A virtual meeting will be held next  to update the AAPS community and respond to questions on Wednesday, Jan. 5 at 6 p.m. Zoom information will be shared early next week.

Local vaccination opportunities can be found here.