‘I knew it wasn’t a drill’ – C-3 classroom light fixture catches fire; smell of smoke fills school hallways

The third floor of Pioneer High School hosted more than final exam reviews this morning as members of the Ann Arbor Fire Department were forced to respond to a small fire that occurred during Early Lunch on C-3.

<script>

“This morning in Mr. Majoros’ math class in C-313 an electrical fire occurred in a ceiling light fixture,” said newly appointed Interim Principal Alberta Britton in an email to families. “911 was immediately called and the school was evacuated. The fire was put out by a fire extinguisher and there were no injuries. The Ann Arbor Fire Department reported on scene and shortly after cleared students and staff to return to school.”

<script>

Photographs traveling on social media show flames piercing the ceiling of the classroom, seemingly almost burning the American flag on display. Students were forced  to idle in the cold outside for just under an hour, waiting for the all-clear signal from fire department officials. Most students had their jackets, but some did not, along with some staff, and could be seen collecting in tight groups for warmth. One student who had all of her belongings said she knew to take them as soon as she heard the fire alarm. “I knew it wasn’t a drill,” she said.

Other students had to wait through the hastily scheduled all-school lunch to get back up to the third floor for their belongings, including senior Cindy Rodriguez. “I was in AP English,” she said. “All of a sudden the fire alarm went off, and Mr. Ashley told us to get out. I grabbed my phone but nothing else and then we headed outside. It felt like two hours in the cold waiting it out. I smelt [the smoke] when I left the building, I could smell it through the windows.”

<script>

School officials cleared the third floor for re-opening by 12:30PM except for the scene of the incident. Students who were in C313 during the fire were instructed to meet at a first floor office to organize a recovery effort for personal belongings, some of which have to be cleaned by a fire restoration company.

Since the evacuation took place primarily during fourth hour, the decision was made to skip all of fourth hour on Thursday. 

“We appreciate the quick response by Pioneer staff and students in evacuating the school and their patience while the AAFD cleared the school for their return to classes,” concluded the Interim Principal’s statement.

• The Ann Arbor Fire Department arriving to the Seventh St. entrance.

• Fire fighters prepare to enter the building.

• Students were quick to report on the fire over social media.This photo shows the light fixture on fire in Room C-313.

• Flames could be seen through the classroom window although the fire was quickly put out. Students were quick to report on the fire over social media.

• Students wait to go back inside the building.